Friday, December 8, 2023

Lexicon Lift: 5 Daily Words (How familiar are you with these, and in what ways do you utilize them?) - December 08, 2023

  Word: Solemn.

  • Parts of Speech: Adjective.
  • Meaning: Dignified and Somber in Manner.
  • Solemn can be used to describe anything that's really serious and dignified.
  • Example: It was a solemn conversation, with Steve vowing to help look after Jai and the kids.

Word: Podium.

  • Parts of Speech: Noun.
  • Meaning: Raised platform like the kind Olympians stand to receive medals when they win, soapbox, stump.
  • Example: An unexpected whole house of 400, and as I hopped on stage to check out the podium and get organized, she could see how nervous I was.

Word: Rustling.

  • Parts of Speech: Noun/Adjective.
  • Meaning: A gentle swishing sound.
  • Example: There was a rustling in the audience as I got myself ready.
  • Like the rustling of leaves in the trees on a breezy night.

Word: Puttering.

  • Parts of Speech: Noun/Verb.
  • Meaning: Do random; unplanned work or activities; spend time idly.
  • Example: Even with the talk only minutes away, I continued puttering at the podium, deleting some old slides.

Word: Tweed.

  • Parts of Speech: Noun.
  • Meaning: Thick Woolen fabric used for clothing (Originated in Scotland).
  • Example: I wasn't going to get up there in some professional tweed jacket with leather elbow patches.
  • I put the tweed cap on and checked myself in the mirror one more time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment