Sunday, December 3, 2023

Lexicon Lift: 5 Daily Words (How familiar are you with these, and in what ways do you utilize them?) - December 03, 2023

Word: Resonate

  • Parts of Speech: Verb
  • Meaning: Be received or understood, evoke emotions.
  • Resonate sounds like another verb, Resound, but they have subtly different meanings.
  • Resound means to repeat the sound, while Resonate means to expand or amplify. 
  • Example: How could I turn this academic talk into something that would resonate with my kids a decade or more up the road?

Word: Discourse

  • Parts of Speech: Noun
  • Meaning: An argument, An extended communication dealing with some particular topic, treatment, or discussion.
  • This is the type of argument where people exchange ideas, sometimes heated, but it doesn't mean they get into fights or come to blows.
  • Example: I had little interest in giving a discourse on, say, my insights into how I coped with the disease.

Word: Bravado

  • Parts of Speech: Noun
  • Meaning: A swaggering show of courage.
  • Today, the word means almost over-the-top courage but can also mean a false show of bravery.
  • Example: Though I have always had a healthy sense of self, I knew this lecture needed more than just bravado.

Word: Quirky

  • Parts of Speech: Adjective
  • Meaning: Informal terms, way-out, off-beat
  • Quirky is often used to describe the unconventional traits characterized by peculiar behavior.
  • It is also used to describe things that possess an unconventional element, like a quirky strategy or a quirky idea.
  • Example: My uniqueness, I realized, came in the specifics of all my dreams - from incredibly meaningful to decidedly quirky.

Word: Epiphany

  • Parts of Speech: Noun
  • Meaning: A moment of sudden revelation or insight, Divine Manifestation.
  • The appearance of a god or a deity.
  • Example: I had my Laptop with me in that waiting room, and fueled by this epiphany, I quickly tapped out an email to the lecture organizers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment