Sunday, December 10, 2023

Lexicon Lift: 5 Daily Words (How familiar are you with these, and in what ways do you utilize them?) - December 10, 2023

Word: Tribute. 

  • Parts of Speech: Noun.
  • Meaning: To honor someone with words or an award; Something given or done as an expression of esteem; payment by one nation for protection by another.
  • Example: I was paying tribute to that life experience and Walt Disney, who famously said, "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Word: Linger.

  • Parts of Speech: Verb.
  • Meaning: Taking a long time to depart; linger can refer to feelings or sensations that slowly fade away.
  • Example: I let the slide linger so the audience could follow the arrows.
  • The smell of perfume that lingers in the elevator after the passengers have exited.

Word: Morose.

  • Parts of Speech: Adjective.
  • Meaning: Showing a brooding ill humor; This word is stronger than just Sad.
  • Example: "If I don't feel as depressed or morose as I should be, sorry to disappoint you," I said, and after, people laughed.
  • When someone is morose, they seem to have a cloud of sadness hanging over them.

Word: Decamped.

  • Parts of Speech: Verb.
  • Meaning: Decam can be used by people when they scram, meaning when they relocate a household or a business to a new location.
  • Example: My Family - My kids and my wife - we just decamped.

Word: Uproot.

  • Parts of Speech: Verb.
  • Meaning: Move (people) forcibly from their homeland into a new and foreign environment or location.
  • Example: My wife and I had decided to uproot our family, and I had asked her to leave a home she loved and friends who cared about her.
  • When you uproot people, you move them from one place to a completely new one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment