Saturday, December 16, 2023

Lexicon Lift: 5 Daily Words (Are you familiar with these? And how do you use these words?)

 Word:  Cockiness

  • Parts of Speech: Noun
  • Meaning: Offensive boldness and assertiveness.
  • Example: My mother, meanwhile, knew plenty, too. All my life, she saw it as part of her mission to keep my cockiness in check (The Last Lecture).

 

Word: Precocious


  • Parts of Speech: Adjective
  • Meaning: They are precocious, meaning they are way beyond their years in skills and knowledge; describing young people who have some adult-like qualities about them; early development or maturity, especially in mental aptitude.
  • Example: She describes me as alert, but not terribly precocious” (The Last Lecture).

 

Word: Relish


  • Parts of Speech: Noun/Verb
  • Meaning: To enjoy something immensely; spicy or savory condiment.
  • Example: After I got my PhD, my mother took great relish in introducing me by saying: This is my son. Hes a doctor” (The Last Lecture).

 

Word: Underwrite


  • Parts of Speech: Verb
  • Meaning: Protect by Insurance; cover; insure; guarantee financial support.
  • Example: Together, they underwrote a fifty-student dormitory in rural Thailand (The Last Lecture).

 

Word: Grandest


  • Parts of Speech: Adjective
  • Meaning: Large and Impressive in physical size or extent; behavior that is impressive and ambitious in scale or scope; rich and superior in quality.
  • Example: He was more focussed on the grandest ideals and saw inequality as the greatest of goals (The Last Lecture).

No comments:

Post a Comment