Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Lexicon Lift: 5 Daily Words (Are you familiar with these? And how do you use these words?)

                                                                


 

 Word:  Hulking

  • Parts of Speech: Adjective
  • Meaning: Of great size and bulk.
  • Example: Fear turned to awe when I met my coach, Jim, a hulking, six-foot-four wall-of-a-guy.
  • Example: Three hulking battleships.

 

Word: Awe

  • Parts of Speech: Noun/Verb
  • Meaning: Awe is a feeling of fear mixed with respect and wonder.
  • Example: Fear turned to awe when I met my coach, Jim, a hulking, six-foot-four wall-of-a-guy.
  • Example: The famous professor awed the undergraduates.

 

Word: Wimpy

  • Parts of Speech: Adjective
  • Meaning: Weak and ineffectiveness.
  • Someone who is wimpy is extremely ineffective, weak, or fearful.
  • Example: I was naturally wimpy and the smallest kid by far.

 

Word: Detriment

  • Parts of Speech: Noun
  • Meaning: A damage or loss
  • Detriment is the hurt or harm resulting from damage, loss, or a bad decision.
  • Example: I have seen this as one lesson so many kids ignore, always to their detriment: you have got to get the fundamentals down.

 

Word: Deter

  • Parts of Speech: Verb
  • Meaning: Turn away from persuasion.
  • Deter means to discourage or literally to frighten away."
  • Example:  I was heartbroken, but I was not deterred.

No comments:

Post a Comment