Thursday, February 1, 2024

Lexicon Lift: 5 Daily Words (Are you familiar with these? And how do you use these words?)

                                                                         


 

Word:  Formidable

  • Parts of Speech: Adjective / Noun
  • Meaning: Inspiring fear or respect through being impressively large, powerful, intense, or capable.
  • Example: The most formidable brick wall I ever encountered in my life was just five feet, six inches tall, and absolutely beautiful.

 

Word: Adept

  • Parts of Speech: Adjective / Noun
  • Meaning: Very proficient or skilled at something.
  • Example: I was always pretty adept at charging through the brick walls in my academic and professional life.

 

Word: Courtship

  • Parts of Speech: Noun
  • Meaning: A period during which a couple develops a romantic relationship.
  • Example: I didn’t tell the audience the story about my courtship with my wife.

 

Word: Compulsion

  • Parts of Speech: Noun
  • Meaning: The action or state of forcing or being forced to do something.
  • Example: I felt no compulsion to settle down.

 

Word: Tenured

  • Parts of Speech: Adjective
  • Meaning: Having or denoting a permanent post, especially as a teacher or a professor.
  • Example:  Even as a tenured professor who could afford something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment